Leafy vegetables are one of the healthiest groups of veggies out there. Many of these leaves are already a part of the Indian diet. For example, spinach is a green leafy vegetable that has always been used as an ingredient in many Indian dishes such as saag panner, dal palak etc. We have some more on the list, like, sarso, methi, bathua, to name a few. From spices to herbs, the list
(1) Spinach: Spinach is a healthy vitamin K food containing a high source of calcium and nitrates. It is an excellent source of vitamin A, required for the production of healthy epithelial tissues, which line the small filtration tubes within the kidneys and urinary tract . Spinach is also rich in iron, fibre, low in fat and cholesterol. It is good for weight control, eyes, bones, and blood pressure.
(2) Fenugreek: Considered as the richest sources of folic acid and zinc, consuming fenugreek leaves can do wonders for your overall health . They are also a rich source of antioxidants, which help the body fight several infections, and is good for the hair, digestion and anaemia.
(3) Mint: Mint leaves, commonly known as pudina, is one of the widely used aromatic plants.
These leaves make excellent mouth freshers for those who suffer from a problem of bad breath. It helps to cool down the stomach and improves digestion as well. Pudina is not just used for culinary purposes but also for medicinal purposes. The plant also possesses therapeutic properties .
(4) Cabbage: Richer than oranges in Vitamin C, cabbages give you plenty of roughage to keep your bowel movements regular . Packed with phytochemicals, this cruciferous vegetable help break up free radicals before they can do damage to your body. Cabbages are high in vitamin K and fibre and are also a good source of vitamin B6 and folic acid.
talks about all the healthy leaves you can eat.
(5) Watercress: Packed with nutrients that help boost immunity and prevent cancer, watercress stands out as being the superfood with multiple benefits. Simply put, watercress contains more iron than spinach, more vitamin C than oranges and more calcium than a glass of milk.
(6) Cilantro (coriander leaves): The deluge of benefits offered by this taste-enhancing leaves are that they may help lower your blood sugar, fight infections, and promote heart, brain, skin, and digestive health.
(7) Arugula: Arugula is commonly known as garden rocket or rocket salad and denominated as a superior leafy green compared to the other leafy green assortments. Ranging from detoxification of the body to resisting cancer, the miracle leafy green helps in the absorption of minerals to augment athletic performance.
(8) Bok choy: A staple in Asian cuisine, bok choy is one of the healthiest types of green vegetables. Loaded with nutritional value and high beta-carotene content compared to other leafy vegetables, bok choy is slowly becoming an integral part of a healthy diet. In ancient Chinese medicine, it was used as a healing element in treating cough, fever and similar ailments .
(9) Curry leaves: Curry leaves have lots of health benefits like preventing indigestion and aiding weight loss. They also help your hair grow faster and thicker. Chewing raw curry leaves or drinking a cup of curry leaves tea every day can prevent weight gain and reduce body cholesterol as these leaves help in cleansing the body by flushing out harmful toxins .
(10) Mustard greens: Mustard greens are a popular green leafy vegetable in India. These mustard plant leaves have a spicy flavour and have lots of vitamin A that help improves skin and eyes’ health and are also rich in antioxidants.
(11) Lettuce: Lettuce is low in calories, fat and sodium. It is a good source of fibre, iron, folate, and vitamin C. It is a good source of various other health-beneficial bioactive compounds.
(12) Asparagus: Asparagus contains aspartic acid, which aids in neutralizing excess ammonia found in your bodies, which can contribute to weakness. It is also a rich source of vitamin C and E and folate.
(13) Red amaranth: It can help improve cardiovascular health, strengthens bones and stops hair loss . Red amaranth is a vegetable best enjoyed in salads and has twice as much calcium as milk and much more zinc than eggs.
Download the app and enjoy the news
Like our page and see the news on your Facebook
Subscribe to watch the news video