The stomach is a muscular, J shaped organ in the digestive system. The oesophagus, a tube like organ that connects mouth and throat to the stomach. The stomach performs temporary storage of food, breakdown of foods and digestion of foods. The Hcl in gastric juice breaks down food and enzymes and kills bacteria. Now let us see about Acid Reflux disease.
Acid reflux happens when contents from stomach moves up into oesophagus. It is also called Acid regurgitation or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). GERD may damage the lining of esophagus, causing inflammation( esophagitis). Prevalence of GERD in India is likely to be between 8% and 19% when compared to western countries.
Signs and symptoms:
- A burning sensation in the chest ( heartburn), usually after eating, which may be worse at night
- Chest pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Regurgitation of food or sour liquid
- Sensation of lump in the throat
- At night time, we might experience chronic cough, laryngitis, new or worsening asthma and disrupted sleep.
- Hiatus hernia – when part of your stomach moves up into your chest
- Eating a large meal and lying down
- Medications such as pain relievers like ibuprofen and aspirin; blood pressure drugs like calcium channel blockers; anti histamines for allergies; sedatives; opioids etc
- Stress and anxiety
- Scleroderma and sarcoidosis.
Complications of Acid Reflux:
- Adult onset Asthma
- Esophagitis ( inflammation of esophagus)
- Stricture ( narrowing of esophagus)
- Barrett’ s esophagus ( pre cancerous changes to esophagus)
- Regurgitation of acid into lungs
- Ulceration and bleeding.
- Upper endoscopy and biopsy
- Ambulatory acid ( pH) probe test
- Esophageal manometry
- X- ray of upper digestive system.
- Aim for a healthy weight
- Avoid tomato sauce and tomatoes,
High fat foods
Mint and alcohol
- Quit smoking
- Avoid tight clothing
- Do yoga and meditation
- Elevate the head of your bed to avoid night heartburn
- Don’t eat within three hours of going to bed.
Siddha and ayurvedic treatment:
- Avipattikar choornam with hot water thrice a day after food
- Elathy choornam with ghee thrice a day after food
- Gasex tablet 2 twice a day after food
- Gason syrup 5ml twice a day after food
- Udharasudha arishtam 5ml with hot water after food twice a day
- Pep guard syrup 5ml twice a day after food
- Oma water if needed before or after food with water.
“ Acid Reflux” – the name itself threatens us a lot. Don’t worry about the heartburn and regurgitation, make some lifestyle changes and do some exercises everyday. Live simple, eat simple, don’t complicate life , go with the flow.
“STAY FIT , MAKE ACID UNFIT”