Pregnancy cravings are, in a single word, unpredictable. Sometimes you may crave for fried pickles (yikes!), sometimes it can be ice cream on cold winter nights, all in all, majority of the cravings are highly unlikely for a pack of almonds or some healthy green – they are essentially and by 98 per cent, for junk food .
But that’s okay, after all, your body is undergoing extreme hormonal changes that play a major role in their sense of taste and smell, making you crave foods that you never knew you would take a second look at . After all, you are eating for two – you need to have some fun with it, right? Well, you can eat healthily and have fun too. Let me break it down for you, pregnant mommas.
- Increases the risk of premature delivery, a lack of fibre in junk foods can put pressure on bowel movement, which may lead to rupture of your water bag, leading to complications .
- Constipation is another risk posed by junk foods during pregnancy.
- Unhealthy and unwanted weight gain, which is the most obvious effect of eating junk foods. This, in turn, can lead to pregnancy-induced hypertension, various congenital disabilities and other complications during delivery .
- A lack of protein during pregnancy can interfere with the proper kidney development in the foetus, which can result in the development of high blood pressure and renal disease in the baby.
- There is a possibility that the baby may develop a liking for fatty foods .
- There may be an increased risk of allergies in the child, which usually develops between the ages of 7 and 9
- Studies have shown that if the mother consumes an excess of junk food during pregnancy, it can increase the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes in the children .
Download the app and enjoy the news
Like our page and see the news on your Facebook
Subscribe to watch the news video