EBM News
EBM News

Symptoms Of Thyroid Disorders

Thyroid disorders occur when the thyroid gland either produces excess or fewer thyroid hormones which are called hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism respectively . That is, any disruption in the functioning of the gland can develop hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism and other thyroid-related diseases. More than 60 per cent of people, especially women suffer from a thyroid problem. The rest 40 per cent are unaware of the signs, as it can be difficult to distinguish the symptoms

Causes Of Thyroid Disorders
1. Hypothyroidism
Caused by the production of an insufficient amount of thyroid hormone, hypothyroidism is caused due to the issues pertaining to your thyroid gland, pituitary gland, or hypothalamus . The most common causes of hypothyroidism are Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, thyroid hormone resistance, inflammation of the thyroid, acute thyroiditis and post-partum thyroiditis.

2. Hyperthyroidism
This disorder is caused due to excessive production of thyroid hormone. Hyperthyroidism is less common in comparison to hypothyroidism. The most common causes of the disorder are Gaves’ disease, toxic multinodular goitre, thyroid nodules that over-express thyroid hormone (known as hot nodules) and excessive iodine consumption .

3. Goitre
This type of thyroid disorder is the enlargement of the thyroid gland. Goitre is not a disease as of such but is associated with the other thyroid disorders such as hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism .
4. Thyroid
nodules These are abnormal masses that are developed within the thyroid and can be caused due to benign cysts and benign tumours. In rare cases, it can be caused by cancer of the thyroid as well. The thyroid nodules can be multiple or single and vary in size .
5. Thyroid cancer
Increasingly common in women below the age of 55, than in men, thyroid cancer is classified into different groups. The type of cancer depends upon the cell type within the thyroid .

Treatment For Thyroid Disorders
For hyperthyroidism, medications such as beta-blockers, propylthiouracil, methimazole and iodide are advised. Along with that, radioactive iodine therapy is advised as well . For hypothyroidism, medications such as L-thyroxine, triiodothyronine and thyroid extract or a natural thyroid hormone (pig thyroid gland) are used as the treatment methods . For thyroid nodules and goitre, if the thyroid function is abnormally high or low, the medications used for hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism are prescribed. If the functioning of your thyroid is stable but has thyroid nodules, you will be required to undergo a surgery or treatment to shrink the nodules .